Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sony WX50

Sony DSCWX50 Review

Sometimes a point and shoot is just easier to deal with. 

For a long time I had a Nikon Coolpix S550 which I used as my default point and shoot digital cam that I could keep on me whenever I went out.  Its just not feasible to always go out with either a DSLR or even a 4/3 mirrorless camera like the Sony NEX or Nikon J1.

These pocket cameras are perfect for the random outtings with friends and capturing some of the day/evening's adventures.

After my Nikon died from a few years of abuse I put off getting a replacement as I have recently had some new toys to play with. 

I eventually did settle on the Sony DSCWX50 mostly out of impulse but so far I'm happy with it.  Is a 16.2 megapixel camera which is slightly overkill for a point and shoot pocket camera in my opinion but given the current trend to showing off megapixels its not a bad thing persay.

What I do like about the camera is the plethora of options and modes along with 1080i full HD video capabilities.  These days if you're going to spend money on a camera you might as well make sure that it takes decent HD video.    The sony is equiped with a panaorama mode which can be fun to play with.  3D shooting options are also availible as Sony has been pushing 3D hard but its a useless feature to me.  Lastly, this little workhorse is very little and quite pocketable yet produces decent photos.

Sony has stepped up its produdction of digital cameras in the past few years and that effort is being noticed across the board.  The menu interface is almost exactly the same as my Sony NEX-5N and is very easy to use.  I think Nikon and other competitors may need to start taking notice and adding some features to their lower end products if they wish to keep up.

The WX50 has a Carl Zeiss lens and produces standard crisp sony photos that are a little cooler than those of Nikons but I think that the end results come down to personal preference. 


Sony DSCWX50

Back of the Sony DSCWX50

Sony DSCWX50 turned on with lens protruding

No comments:

Post a Comment