Sunday, July 29, 2012

Dell Latitude E6320

Dell Latitude E6320

As a consultant, I am forced to/required to work with some Windows only programs and as such I've been given a Dell Latitude E6320 with an Intel Core i5-2520M and 4GB of RAM. As it's an i5 with Windows 7, the computer runs pretty well and handles most of the tasks I throw at it.

Design wise, it's not as asethetically pleasing as my Macbook Pro but for a Dell it looks rather good.  Dell has included a backlit keyboard in this business class laptop and for any roadwarriors it can be quite handy in the dark on a train or plane.  Ports on the laptop have been simplifed.  There's only one usb 2.0 port on the right but there is also and e-SATA port that can function as a second usb port.  On the left side of the laptop there's a VGA port and a headphone jack.  In the middle of the laptop there's an SD card reader slot to round out the ports.

All in all, I'd say Dell's business line of laptops is developing quite nicely even if the pricing is a little high for what components they use.  The plastic has a little more flex than I like and durability would be a concern of mine had I paid for it.  Asides from those issues, the Latitude is a pretty good workhorse and the 14in formfactor comes in handy when traveling with it.  Unfortunately, as it is an i5 battery life is a big suspect and the power brick is larger that I would like but not as ridiculous as the powerbricks that come with some of the i7 laptops.  Under normal use, the battery lasts about 2-2.5 hours.





No comments:

Post a Comment