Thursday, July 26, 2012

Home Made Cherry Pie

Even though I enjoy eating out and going out on foodie adventures, I am also a fan of cooking at home.

With ripe cherries for the summer, a home-made cherry pie was made for the fourth of July.  Two of my friends came into town and are rather accomplished amateur chefs, having won a few food competitions in NYC.  This recipe was slightly simpler but still fun.  It was stolen from Martha Stewart and came out quite nicely.

We tried pitting the cherries with a paper clip as allegedly it keeps more of the cherry juices.  I think it was slightly better but I don't think I'll ever mandate that only paperclips be used to pit cherries.

For fun, my friend also made a berry tart from scratch with some berries we bought and I got to play with my knife skills to carve out an egg like watermelon after I failed in my initial attempt to make a watermelon basket with a handle.

Fresh cherries

Cherries pitted with paperclips

Cherry Pie from scratch

Cherry Pie Weave

No comments:

Post a Comment