Saturday, March 30, 2013

Glassware (Whisky/Scotch)

Glassware for whisky and scotch.

Recently, I've been getting into scotch.  It's fun, has history, and seems to bring people together.  As a scotch novice, I started researching the subject in my free time.

A few fun examples of glassware follow below. 

Relatively new to the scene are glencairn glasses.  These remind me of brandy snifters with the bulbus bottom.  They are designed to allow for nosing of scotches as the shape holds and focuses the aromas.  While endorsed by the scotch whisky association, you will be hard pressed to find these in use at most bars.  Worth considering for anyone who wishes to dabble in scotches.

Traditionally, it appears old fashioned tumblers are what come to mind to most folk, and they're a bit more versatile and less specialized for functioning as a general glass.  Traditionally a cut crystal Old Fashioned glass is what is seen in old movies, rather iconic in a way. 

I opted for a round crystal old fashioned glass.  For entertaining, I found rather nicely priced glass, not crystal, "rocking" glasses.  These are made by Sagaform and have a bottom that is not flat.  As a result the glass sits tilted and allows for easy rocking of the beverage, in theory.  It may also lead to more spills.  Updates to come after they are used in a large group.

Lastly, as a notice to glassware makers.  Can you please use a sticker that is easier to remove?  I don't want your paper sticker on my glasses when I use them and yet they are quite difficult to remove without leaving a gross residue.










No comments:

Post a Comment